I wrote a post on the excellent blog of Arbeitskreis Hochschullehre (German Political Science Association). It is in German only, but here is a short summary in bullet points.
- Two types of feedback: summative (often for grading) or formative (as a learning exercise).
- Both types of feedback typically given individually
- Especially for formative feedback it is better to give feedback in the whole group.
- Feedback in group leads to group learning rather than individual learning.
- Especially for presentations helpful, but also for term paper.
- Feedback in group needs to be carefully designed to avoid conflicts.
- But this is no problem as long as basic etiquette is guaranteed (politeness etc.)
- Such feedback is also efficient for the course instructor because he or she does not have to repeat similar comments endlessly.